Using Outlook with the Cyrus email system
This is a brief guide to setting up Outlook (version 2010 or 2007) for use with the Sussex Cyrus mail system, which is now mostly used only by undergraduate and taught postgraduate students. If you are a member of Staff and a Research Postgraduate, your email account should be on the Exchange mail system and you should refer to the guide to Email for Staff and PhD Students: Setting Up Outlook.
Please note that only email is available with Outlook on the Cyrus mail system: there is no provision for a calendaring system.
The instructions for Outlook 2010 (on Windows 7) and Outlook 2007 (on Windows XP) are almost identical. Any differences will be indicated where appropriate.
- Click the Windows Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Click on Mail.
Windows 7: Click on Mail (32-bit).
- Click the Show Profiles button.
In the Mail window:
- Click to select the Prompt for a profile to be used button.
- Click Add....
In the Add New Account window:
- Enter a name for your new profile (we recommend My Sussex Email), then click OK.
- Enter your real name in the Your Name box.
- Enter your official Sussex email address in the E-Mail Address box.
- Leave the Password and Retype Password boxes empty.
Note: If those boxes are greyed-out, click on the E-Mail Account button and they should then become available.
- Click to select the Manually Configure server settings box, then click Next.
- Select the Internet E-Mail option and then click Next.
- In the Server Information panel, select IMAP against the Account Type option.
- Enter mail.sussex.ac.uk in the Incoming mail server box.
- Enter smtp.sussex.ac.uk in the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box.
- In Login Information, enter your Sussex username (for example, ano23) in the UserName box, but leave the Password box empty.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure the Remember password and the Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) options are de-selected.
- Click More Settings.
In the Internet E-mail Settings window:
- Click the General tab.
- Enter the same profile name you used in step 6 as the Mail account name.
- Leave the other boxes empty.
- Click the Outgoing Server tab.
- Tick My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentification.
- Select the Log on using option.
In the Username box, enter your Sussex username (for example, ano23).
Leave the Password box empty.
De-select the Remember Password option, and leave the Require Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) option unselected.
- Click the Connection tab.
- Select Connect using local area network (LAN).
- Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Server Port Numbers panel, enter 993 in the Incoming Server (IMAP) box.
- In BOTH of the 'Use the following type of encrypted connection' option boxes, select SSL. DO THESE BEFORE doing the next step.
- Enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box (note that this is the recommended SMTP port number for use with SSL connections to the Sussex system, even though port 587 is used for secure connections by other email programs).
- Leave the Root Folder Path box empty.
- Click OK.
- If you're using Windows 7, de-select the Test Account Settings option box if it's selected.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Click OK to close the Profiles window.
When you next start Outlook, choose the appropriate profile and login to the selected account.
[back to top]
created on 2010-01-01 by Andy Clews
last updated on 2013-05-14 by Andy Clews