Questions and answers
1156How do I add a new administrator (or co-administrator) to one of my mailing lists?
You are free to change the administrator of, or add an extra administrator to any of your mailing lists, but you must observe the following conditions:
- The new administrator's email address must be a Sussex (sussex.ac.uk) address.
- You must specify their official Sussex email address.
- You must give the administrator password (that's the list password, not your own account's password) to the new administrator.
To change the administrator of a list, or to add an extra administrator, do the following:
- Open the Admin page for the list. This will be https://lists.sussex.ac.uk/mailman/admin/listname where listname is the name of the mailing list. Or, visit sussex.ac.uk/its/email/lists/ and enter the exact name of your list in the first box shown there.
- Enter the administrator password in the box provided.
- In the General Options page (this is the first page opened), scroll down to the box labelled 'The list administrator email addresses. Multiple administrator addresses, each on a separate line is okay.' It's the second option box down the page.
- EITHER: Replace your address in the box with that of the new administrator,
OR: If you want to continue as an administrator and add an extra co-administrator, just add the new administrator's address below your own in the box.
- Click the button at the bottom of the page.
- Make sure that the new administrator knows the password for the mailing list. THIS IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL PASSWORD!
If you are leaving the university and know who your successor is, but you will not be at the university when they start in their new role, please email us at Online Support before you leave, giving details of the mailing list name(s), when the change of ownership needs to be done, and the name and email address of the person who will assume onership of the mailing list.
If you are leaving the university and do not know who your successor is, you will need to make arrangements for your colleagues in your department to contact us with the above information.
NOTE: All mailing lists must have an 'owner' still working or studying at Sussex. If any are found without a current Sussex owner, the mailing lists may be suspended, and later deleted if no new owner is nominated.
Help us to improve this answer
Please suggest an improvement
(login needed, link opens in new window)
Your views are welcome and will help other readers of this page.
This is question number 1156, which appears in following categories: