Committees and Meetings
- School Committee Timetable Autumn 2014-15
Timetable Autumn 2014-15 Date Time Venue Secretary Research Degree Committee Weds 24 Sept 2-4pm A117 Fiona Allan Research Committee Weds 1 Oct 2-4pm A117 Fiona Allan Department Meetings / Boards of Study *American Studies Weds 15 Oct 2-4pm TBC Grace Ryan *Art History Tues 30 Sept 4-6pm A108 Lisa Brown *Art History (BoS) Weds 15 Oct 2-4pm A155 Lisa Brown *History Weds 8 Oct 2-4pm A108 Lisa Brown *History (BoS) Weds 29 Oct 2-5pm A108 Lisa Brown *Philosophy Weds 8 Oct 2-4pm TBC Vicky Phillips Student Experience Group Weds 29 Oct 12.30-2pm A108 Ahmed Koyes Teaching and Learning Committee Weds 5 Nov 2-5pm A108 Molly Butterworth School Meeting Weds 12 Nov 2-4pm A108 Ahmed Koyes
- School Committee Timetable Spring Term 2014-15
Timetable Spring Term 2014-15 Date Time Venue Secretary Research Degree Committee Weds 4 Feb 2-4pm A108 Fiona Allan Research Committee Weds 11 Feb 2-4pm A108 Fiona Allan Department Meetings / Boards of Study *American Studies Weeks 5-8 TBC Grace Ryan *Art History Weeks 5-8 TBC Lisa Brown *History Weeks 5-8 TBC Lisa Brown *Philosophy Weeks 5-8 TBC Vicky Phillips Student Experience Group Weds 18 March 12.30-2pm A108 Ahmed Koyes Teaching and Learning Committee Weds 25 March 2-5pm A108 Molly Butterworth School Meeting Weds 1 April 2-4pm A108 Ahmed Koyes
Committee Terms of Reference and Composition
- Research Degree Committee
Terms of Reference:
- to determine arrangements for selection, admission and induction of research degree students in accordance with the requirements of Doctoral School Committee;
- to consider and monitor the delivery of provision for postgraduate research students and postdoctoral staff within the School (in accordance with the requirements of Doctoral School Committee);
- to determine and monitor arrangements for training and support for postgraduate research student and postdoctoral research staff in accordance with requirements of the Research Councils and the Doctoral School Committee;
- to monitor the outcomes of the annual review of progress for postgraduate research students, taking action as appropriate and to submit a report to Doctoral School Committee;
- to monitor (against targets) the performance of Departments in terms of admission, progression, granting extensions to, and completion rates of, research degree students;
- to consider arrangements for the appointment of supervisors in accordance with national requirements and those of Doctoral School Committee;
- to recommend changes to University policies and procedures governing research degree and professional doctorate programmes
- to consider arrangements for the management of research students acting as Associate Tutors;
Composition: Director of Doctoral Studies (Chair); Heads of Departments (or nominees; or, in single-Department Schools, two members of academic faculty with substantial experience of postgraduate and/or postdoctoral research supervision appointed by the Director of Doctoral Studies following consultation with the Head of School); At least one postgraduate research
School Student Representative; At least one Postdoctoral Researcher.
In attendance: School Administrator (or nominee).
Reports to: Doctoral School Committee.
- Departmental Meetings
Terms of Reference:
To discuss matters relevant to the Department including all aspects of academic work.
Composition: Head of Department (Chair); All members of staff associated with the relevant Department; All Department Student Representatives in the Department.
- Student Experience Group
Terms of Reference:
(a) to discuss matters related to the student experience in the School including:
- feedback from Student Representatives;
- issues for information or consultation referred by the Head of School or other School Officers;
- informal complaints or concerns that can be resolved locally;
(b) to refer relevant issues to:
- School Management Team;
- School Teaching and Learning Committee;
- Student Experience Forum.
Composition: HAHP School Rep (Chair); Director of Student Experience; Director of Teaching and Learning; Director of Doctoral Studies; Head of School; Director of Research and Knowledge Exchange; School Administrator; All Student Representatives in the School.
In attendance: Head of Student Support and Experience (or nominee).
Reports to: School Teaching and Learning Committee and Student Experience Forum.
- Research Committee
Key Role: The School Research Committee will support the Head of School and Director of Research and Knowledge Exchange in formulating and implementing the School Research Strategy, promote a strong research and knowledge exchange culture and ethos across the School, review the progress of Departments/Groups and individuals in the context of the School Research Strategy and develop activities that enhance research.
Terms of Reference:
- to agree the School Research Strategy for approval by Research Committee;
- to monitor School progress against the parameters set out by Research Committee;
- to receive and approve Department research strategies;
- to receive regular reports from each Department research committee (where it exists) about progress against the Department strategy;
- to facilitate interaction between Departments and Schools to promote interdisciplinary research;
- to manage the School’s engagement with key funding initiatives;
- to promote and exchange best practice in relation to the enhancement and management and conduct of research and knowledge exchange activities.
Composition: Director of Research and Knowledge Exchange (Chair); A representative cross-section of staff from the School, this encompassing the range of research groups / themes / activities pursued by individuals and a range of experience.
In attendance: Director of Research and Enterprise (or nominee).
Reports to: Research Committee.
- Teaching and Learning Committee
Terms of Reference:
- to approve the School Teaching and Learning Strategy and associated operational plans for recommendation to Teaching and Learning Committee and to monitor progress towards achieving objectives;
- having reviewed reports and assessments of quality in teaching and learning in the School, including peer observation of teaching, and having responded appropriately, to approve an aggregate annual report, incorporating recommended changes of policy and noting any aspects of good practice;
- having reviewed reports from departments on all aspects of student performance with particular attention to issues of equality and diversity, and having responded appropriately to departments, to report to the Teaching and Learning Committee, incorporating recommended changes of policy and noting any aspects of good practice;
- having reviewed annually enrolment data for all taught programmes and courses, and having noted in particular the programmes and courses recruiting/enrolling below threshold, to oversee the quality assurance of School decisions with respect to withdrawal, suspension
- or continuation, and to report these decisions to the Teaching and Learning Committee;
- to recommend to Academic Programmes and Regulations Committee changes in title of programmes or the introduction of alternative modes of study;
- to approve, in accordance with procedures laid down by Teaching and Learning Committee, changes to existing courses and minor changes to programmes and report these to Academic Programmes and Regulations Committee;
- to approve annually the membership of examinations boards within the School;
- to ratify pass lists from all programmes owned by the School;
- to approve action plans arising from external examiner reports; to recommend nominations for external examiners within the School;
- to recommend to Academic Programmes and Regulations Committee amendments to assessment regulations and procedures;
- to approve Periodic Subject Review action plans and to ensure their implementation;
- to advise the Head of School on all matters relating to Teaching and Learning as they affect the annual planning round;
- to report to Teaching and Learning Committee University-wide matters arising from reports from External Examiners, Periodic Subject Review and annual monitoring of courses.
The Committee may delegate to its Chair, or any other member of staff, for the purpose of implementing policy in accordance with Statute XVI.3, powers and functions that it is itself competent to perform.
Composition: Director of Taught Programmes (Chair); Head of School; Director of Student Support; Heads of Departments within the School (or, in single-Department Schools, two members of academic faculty drawn from across the School appointed by the Director of Taught Programmes following consultation with the Head of School); One undergraduate School Student Representative; One postgraduate taught School Student Representative.
Reports to: Teaching and Learning Committee and Academic Programmes and Regulations Committee.
- School Meeting
Terms of Reference:
To disseminate information, encourage discussion on issues of common interest and take soundings on proposed University policies. Senate has agreed that School meetings are an appropriate formal forum for discussing strategic and academic plans. Positions agreed or views presented at such meetings will not be binding on Heads of Schools and School Meetings will be advisory to Heads of Schools rather than formal committees of the University. However, Heads of Schools may decide to communicate the outcomes of School Meetings to Senate or other University committees.
Composition: Head of School (Chair); All academic and Professional Services staff in the School; All School Student Representatives in the School.