School of History, Art History and Philosophy

Absence - reporting / requesting

Reporting Sickness

Especially if you are teaching that day, notify the Head of Department on the first day of sickness absence, when you expect to return, details of any classes or meetings you cannot attend and how you can be contacted. It is OK to cancel classes if you are unwell BUT in that case, do notify the School Office to ensure students are notified of any changes or cancellations to teaching schedules or office hours. If you have to cancel a class because you are ill, you do not have to reschedule it.

Maintaining Contact

If you are absent for more than 3 days you must complete a self-certificate form and give that to your manager when you meet with them on your return.

If you are absent for 7 days or more, you must obtain a medical certificate/fit note from your GP.    You are entitled to occupational sick pay, details of the sickness benefit can be found here

The Occupational Health Service offers advice on health, safety and wellbeing at work. The service works to prevent work related ill health; reduce risks to health from occupational hazards; promote health and safety:

Request for absence

Please use the form below to request absence - to attend conferences, training etc. 

Faculty Absence form updated May 2018 [DOCX 31.85KB]