Kindness UK Doctoral Conference Award
The Kindness UK Doctoral Conference Award supports conference attendance for doctoral researchers at Sussex carrying out research that can illuminate kindness and its effect on people and communities. Please note that kindness is understood to take many different forms, and therefore students working across all academic disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Relevant research could involve work on a very wide range of issues, including (and certainly not restricted to):
- medical and social care services
- business practices
- educational initiatives and strategies
- pro-environmental attitudes and behaviours
- supportive scientific advances, technologies, and products
- legal/justice practices and political activities
- international aid and development work
- developments in the arts and the media.
Funding is available up to a maximum of £1,000 per student to cover accommodation, travel, and conference registration costs.
The Kindness UK Doctoral Conference Award scheme is administered by the Doctoral School on behalf of the University.
Applicants are asked to complete the online application form.
Applications can be submitted between 13th November 2016 (World Kindness Day) and 30th January 2017.
The following criteria will apply:
- Applicants must be currently registered for a doctoral degree at the University of Sussex and the application must be made prior to submission of the thesis.
- Applicants must demonstrate the broad relevance of their research to illuminating kindness and its effects on people and communities.
- Applicants must be active participants in the conference, with a paper on the relevant research already accepted for presentation.
- Applicants must provide a clear and reasonable budget with a breakdown of accommodation, travel, and conference registration costs. Expenses for visas or subsistence should not be included.
Funding applications will be considered by an academic selection panel and Kindness UK. In allocating the awards the following criteria will be used:
- Quality and relevance of application
- Conference profile and suitability
- Supervisor’s statement
Decisions will be communicated by email normally within two weeks of the call closing.
- Payment to successful applicants will be in the form of reimbursement. Documentary evidence, in the form of receipts or equivalent, covering all expenses included in the budget, must be provided to the Doctoral School Office at the relevant time in order for payment to be released.
- Students travelling abroad must obtain University of Sussex travel insurance for the trip. Further details regarding insurance cover and the relevant application form can be found here.
- Successful applicants will be expected to contribute to a dedicated seminar for a non-specialist audience, held at the University of Sussex, timed to coincide with the next World Kindness Day (13 November 2017).
- Successful applicants will also be required to submit a 400 word report of their experiences to the Doctoral School. These may be posted on the Research Hive Blog and may also be publicised by Kindness UK.
- Unsuccessful applicants who are requesting funds for overseas conference attendance will automatically be entered into the pool of applicants for the Doctoral Overseas Conference (DOC) Grant, depending on eligibility.