Extended catalogue descriptions of each album in the Dalziel Archive have been produced for the project by Bethan Stevens, and are fully integrated with the British Museum’s Collection Online. This resource makes the Dalziel Archive accessible for the first time. Before visiting the catalogue, please read the instructions below.
The catalogue summarises key material in the albums. While not exhaustive, it attributes many thousands of illustrations to specific designers and publications, allowing those interested in particular historical themes, artists or writers to identify which albums will interest them.
Photographers at Sylph Editions have photographed every page of each of the albums, amounting to almost 14,000 photographs. These are attached to each album description.
Instructions for use
- There are 49 albums in the Dalziel Archive, containing approximately 54,000 wood engravings.
- The link at the top of this page (or here) takes you to thumbnails representing each of the 49 catalogue entries for the archive.
- Click on a thumbnail to see the catalogue description for that particular album.
- Click ‘more’ to see the full description (for each album, there is a longish prose summary, with information about the content, techniques and publications included).
- Scroll down the page to see details of all the designers identified for individual wood engravings, and other information.
- You will also see a single image, which shows the first page of the album. Underneath the image there is an option to see ‘more views’. Click this to find all the other pages for that album (roughly between 150-350 pages for each one).
- Clicking on a thumbnail takes you to a larger image. Note that images in Collection Online are displayed in low resolution, but you can follow the relevant links to request a high quality file.
- N.B. There are sometimes several hundred pages for each album, so some browsing is necessary to find specific items. When the museum’s Collection Online is re-developed, we hope a zoom function will be introduced for the Dalziel Archive.
- Go to the British Museum’s Collection Search
- Copy and paste this phrase into the search bar: “India-Proofs of Wood Engravings by the Brothers Dalziel” (with quotation marks). This will find all the albums in the archive.
- To narrow down your search, add your own search terms alongside this phrase. For example, to find which albums have Trollope illustrations, type the following:
“India-Proofs of Wood Engravings by the Brothers Dalziel” Trollope
The catalogue is part of a dynamic database and will continue to be updated by the project team and the British Museum following new research.
In association with:
Editorial team: Bethan Stevens (curator) and George Mind (curatorial assistance and web design). Individual posts authored as stated below each one. All Images By Permission of the Trustees of The British Museum. All Rights Reserved © Sylph Editions, 2016