Welcome to The Doctoral School
We support all doctoral researchers across the University, who play a vital role in our vibrant intellectual culture, to become part of our research community. Please find below information to help you make your time here as productive and stimulating as possible.
- Funding scholarships and grants
Visit our funding pages for information about:
- Doctoral scholarship schemes at Sussex
- Finding funding during your doctorate
- Support for presenting at overseas conferences
- Support for organising professional development activities
- Training and development
Our Researcher Development Programme (RDP) is open to all doctoral and early career researchers and provides year-round training in essential research skills and professional development opportunities.
- Researcher community
Networking and collaborating beyond your School can be an important part of a research career. Find out how to make the most of your time here on the Researcher Community pages.
New doctoral researchers are also encouraged to explore our welcome pages.
- Research Student Administration (Handbooks, Regulations and Forms)
The Research Student Administration Office provides advice for postgraduate research students, academic staff and colleagues across the University. We are a single point of contact for all administration associated with a student's journey from application through to graduation. Our services include:
- Monitoring and recording the academic progress and assessment of research students
- Administration of the examination process from thesis submission to the viva outcome
- Advice to current international research students.
- Admissions for postgraduate research students in partnership with the University's Schools
Visit our homepage for more information relating to doctoral research at Sussex, or see below to access the Handbook for Doctoral Researchers, and the Handbook for Research Supervisors and Directors of Doctoral Studies.
- Governance of The Doctoral School
The Doctoral School's work is overseen by a Board, chaired by the Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research, and offers a focal point for all aspects of the doctoral agenda at Sussex. The board is supported by the Doctoral Studies Committee, which oversees the educational and career development of Sussex's doctoral researchers.
- To raise items for consideration by the Doctoral School Board, please contact: Paul Roberts, Assistant Director of the Doctoral School, E:P.E.Roberts@sussex.ac.uk
- To raise items for consideration by the Doctoral Studies Committee, please contact: Camilla Briault, Head of Research Student Administration, E:C.Briault@sussex.ac.uk
- Your research career
As well as receiving support from our Careers and Employability Centre, see our career pages for resources designed to help you find career opportunities, optimise your CV, and keep up-to-date with the latest developments in careers within and beyond academia.
Connect with us for the most recent news and updates
Read the latest issue of Doctoral Connections