Welcome to The Doctoral School
We support all doctoral researchers across the University in playing a vital role in our vibrant intellectual culture and being part of our research community. Please find below information to help you make your time here as productive and stimulating as possible.
If you cannot find what you are looking for, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Funding scholarships and grants
Visit our funding pages for information about:
- Doctoral scholarship schemes at Sussex
- Finding funding during your doctorate
- Support for presenting at overseas conferences
- Support for organising professional development activities
- Training and development
Our Researcher Development Programme (RDP) is open to all doctoral and early career researchers and provides year-round training in essential research skills and professional development opportunities.
- Researcher community
Networking and collaborating beyond your School can be an important part of a research career. Find out how to make the most of your time here and your future opportunities on the Researcher Community pages.
- Research Student Administration
The Research Student Administration Office provides advice for postgraduate research students, academic staff and colleagues across the University. We are a single point of contact for all administration associated with a student's journey from application through to graduation. Our services include:
- Monitoring and recording the academic progress and assessment of research students
- Administration of the examination process from thesis submission to the viva outcome
- Advice to current international research students.
- Admissions for postgraduate research students in partnership with the University's Schools
Visit our codes, forms and handbooks pages to access the relevant handbooks, regulations and codes of practice relating to doctoral research at Sussex.
- Governance of The Doctoral School
The Doctoral School's work is overseen by a Board, chaired by the Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research, and offers a focal point for all aspects of the doctoral agenda at Sussex. The board is supported by the Doctoral Studies Committee, which oversees the educational and career development of Sussex's doctoral researchers.
- To raise items for consideration by the Doctoral School Board, please contact: Paul Roberts, Assistant Director of the Doctoral School, E:P.E.Roberts@sussex.ac.uk
- To raise items for consideration by the Doctoral Studies Committee, please contact: Camilla Briault, Head of Research Student Administration, E:C.Briault@sussex.ac.uk