print friendly version

Questions and answers

How can I use languages such as Chinese, Japanese, Arabic and Korean on a PC at Sussex?

Add any Input Languages you Need:

  1. Click Start > Control Panel, in the window that opens click 'Clock, Language, and Region', and then click 'Region and Language'.

  2. In the window that opens click 'Keyboards and Languages', click the 'Change Keyboards..' button.

  3. In the 'Installed Services' section click the Add button.

  4. Double-click the language you want to add, double-click Keyboard, select the text services options you want to add, and then click OK

Display the Language Bar:

Down at the bottom right of the screen, look for the language icon (usually set to EN for English) and click on it. Choose Show the language bar and it should pop up as a separate menu.

the menu displayed when you click on EN in the task bar

Now open the program you want to use - such as Microsoft Word or Sussex webmail and then go back to the language bar and click on EN. Then choose the language you want to use.

You can now enter text in your chosen language.

The Sussex Centre for Language Studies website has plenty of links to other sites relevant to language learners, as well as details of our courses and services.

Help us to improve this answer

Please suggest an improvement
(login needed, link opens in new window)

Your views are welcome and will help other readers of this page.


This is question number 769, which appears in the following categories:

Created by Jason Bailey on 27 July 2001 and last updated by Mark Wilson on 5 August 2016