US mini logoHome | A-Z Index | People | Reference | Contact us
special collections home | access | services | the collections | library home

Swanborough Manor Papers

Please go to the new Special Collections Website at The Keep

This page is no longer updated. Please visit our new pages at The Keep:

These pages may contain out of date information. Links to these pages may no longer work in the future.

Collection Description

Swanborough Manor in Sussex, dates back to about 1200. The building was altered in the 15th century, when an additional ceiling was added in order to gain an upper room. Many of the architectural features of the 15th century renovations have survived to this day: including the gateway, the great chimney breast, a quatrefoil peephole, and parts of a screen with arched blank panelling.

In 1964 Lady Reading (1894 - 1971), at that time the occupant of Swanborough Manor, placed a collection of papers into the custody of the University of Sussex. The autograph and printed papers, loose notes, notebooks, pamphlets, transcripts, lists and maps etc. relate to the history of the Manor and its estates from Anglo-Saxon times to the 19th century. They were written and compiled by Miss L. Cole, who aimed to use them as the basis for a book, The Story of Swanborough Manor.

Lady Reading was an instrumental figure in the founding of a University in Sussex. After her death she bequeathed the Manor to the University. Itwas subsequently used as a residence for the Vice-Chancellor.






Page maintained by: Library Web Team Disclaimer | Feedback