French Ab initio B (R1117)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
You will have completed the ab-initio A module.
- enables you to understand basic information and communicate effectively in the TL in everyday situations, at a simple level
- provides opportunities across general topics for practising the TL using the four language skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing, at a basic level
- introduces fundamental elements of the TL language structures, vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation, and continues to provide a solid foundation for progression in the TL
- presents the background culture of the TL through various activities and text, audio, audio-visual and digital material.
This module is at least equivalent to level A2 (basic user) of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages.
100%: Seminar (Class, Seminar)
40%: Coursework (Oral examination)
60%: Examination (Distance examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2023/24. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Anthropology with a Language BA
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Design and Business (with a foundation year) BSc
- Drama with a Language BA
- Geography with a Language BA
- International Development with a Language BA
- International Relations with a Language BA
- Law with a Language LLB
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA
- Sociology with a Language BA