Electrical Machines & Power Electronics (H7090)
15 credits, Level 5
Topics covered on this module include:
- DC machines and transformers
- AC machines and rotating magnetic fields
- synchronous machines
- induction machines
- variable frequency control of AC motors
- power electronics technology, devices and applications
- DC choppers and switched-mode regulators
- AC controllers and cyclo-converters
- DC link DC-AC inverters
- quasi-square wave and PWM operation
- electronic drive circuits.
15%: Practical (Laboratory)
20%: Coursework (Report)
80%: Examination (Computer-based examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 39 hours of contact time and about 111 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2022/23. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: