Programming for Engineers (H1038)
15 credits, Level 4
This module introduces you to the following topics:
- compiling and linking
- constants, variables, data types and conversion
- operators and expressions
- program structure and pseudocode
- selection and repetitive statements
- characters and strings
- data structures
- file input/output
- well-designed programs and testing (software engineering)
- introduction to programming paradigms
- C and MATLAB (procedural)
- MATLAB - Simulink
- LabVIEW (graphical programming)
- concept of object-orientated programming (C++, Java).
100%: Practical (Laboratory)
100%: Coursework (Software exercise)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 40 hours of contact time and about 110 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2022/23. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: