Japanese Ab initio B (T2001)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
You will have basic prior knowledge of the target language (TL).
- enables you to understand basic information and communicate effectively in the TL in everyday situations, at a simple level
- provides opportunities across general topics for practising the TL using the four language skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing, at a basic level
- introduces fundamental elements of the TL language structures, vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation, and continues to provide a solid foundation for progression in the TL
- presents the background culture of the TL through various activities and text, audio, audio-visual and digital material.
This module is at least equivalent to level A2 (basic user) of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 46 hours of contact time and about 104 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, we are constantly looking to improve and enhance our courses. There may be changes to modules in response to student demand or feedback, changes to staff expertise or updates to our curriculum. We may also need to make changes in response to COVID-19. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Anthropology with a Language BA
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Design and Business (with a foundation year) BSc
- Drama with a Language BA
- Geography with a Language BA
- International Development with a Language BA
- International Relations with a Language BA
- Law with a Language LLB
- Liberal Arts BA
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA
- Sociology with a Language BA