Spanish Ab initio A (R4011)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
This module is for:
- beginners with no previous knowledge
- false beginners with prior experience of the language at an elementary level, including those who have up to grade C at GCSE.
- enables you to understand basic information and communicate effectively in the TL, in everyday situations at an elementary level
- provides opportunities across general topics for practising the four language skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing, at an elementary level
- introduces fundamental elements of the TL language structures, vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation, and provides a solid foundation for progression in the TL
- introduces the background culture of the TL through various activities and text, audio, audio-visual and digital material.
This module is equivalent to level A1 (basic user) of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages.
3%: Practical (Workshop)
94%: Seminar (Class, Seminar)
100%: Coursework (Oral examination, Take away paper)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 35 hours of contact time and about 115 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, we are constantly looking to improve and enhance our courses. There may be changes to modules in response to student demand or feedback, changes to staff expertise or updates to our curriculum. We may also need to make changes in response to COVID-19. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: