Spanish Ab initio A (R4011)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
This module is for:
- beginners with no previous knowledge
- false beginners with prior experience of the language at an elementary level, including those who have up to grade C at GCSE.
- enables you to understand basic information and communicate effectively in the TL, in everyday situations at an elementary level
- provides opportunities across general topics for practising the four language skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing, at an elementary level
- introduces fundamental elements of the TL language structures, vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation, and provides a solid foundation for progression in the TL
- introduces the background culture of the TL through various activities and text, audio, audio-visual and digital material.
This module is equivalent to level A1 (basic user) of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 35 hours of contact time and about 115 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. The structure of some courses means that the modules you choose first may determine whether later modules are core or optional.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Anthropology with a Language BA
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Design and Business (with a foundation year) BSc
- Drama with a Language BA
- Geography with a Language BA
- International Development with a Language BA
- International Relations with a Language BA
- Law with a Language LLB
- Liberal Arts BA
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA
- Sociology with a Language BA