School Placement Project (Q3293)
30 credits, Level 6
This is a work-based learning module, to be delivered collaboratively with partner secondary schools/colleges. Using the resources and framework of the national Undergraduate Ambassadors Scheme, the module involves you preparing for and then undertaking a placement working with a secondary teacher to support pupils in the relevant subject area (i.e. English).
You will shadow, observe and then directly support the classroom teacher over a period of 9 weeks, culminating in the delivery of a project that the you will design (through discussion with the paired teacher). You will gain first-hand experience of teaching (under supervision) or supporting teaching, and by required to apply the skills and knowledge that you have developed through your course of study in a classroom setting.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 300 hours of work. This breaks down into about 30 hours of contact time and about 270 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We’re planning to run this module in the academic year 2021/22. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- English (with a study abroad year) BA
- English BA
- English Language and Literature (with a study abroad year) BA
- English Language and Literature BA
- English and Art History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Art History BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- English and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and History BA
- English and Media Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Media Studies BA
- History BA
- Philosophy BA
- Philosophy and English BA