Dynamics of Machines & Vehicles (H7092)
15 credits, Level 6
- kinematic analysis in two and three dimensions
- dynamic equations of motion for rigid bodies in two dimensions (applications toplane mechanisms)
- equations of motion for a rigid-body in 3D
- gyrodynamic effects on rotors
- balancing of rotating and reciprocating machinery
- response of linear SDOF systems to general loading (superposition)
- discrete model types; model construction via Equilibrium/Alembert's Principle, virtual work, and Lagrange equations; discrete dynamic equations for linear MDOF systems
- orthogonality relations for normal modes; principal coordinates
- forced vibration analysis of systems with proportional damping
- superposition principles and frequency response functions for damped 2-DOF systems
- Rayleigh's principle
- vehicle axes systems
- basic tyre mechanics
- vehicle traction: acceleration and braking
- ride and handling principles
- steering and steady-state cornering: stability and control of vehicle roll
- crash dynamics.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. The structure of some courses means that the modules you choose first may determine whether later modules are core or optional.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Automotive Engineering BEng
- Automotive Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering BEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics MEng