Web Applications and Services (G6060)
15 credits, Level 6
This module provides an introduction to the models and technologies used to provide distributed applications and services over the Internet. You will study the features and problems of building distributed applications, such as naming, security, synchronization, replication, object persistence and content distribution. They will use the framework provided by the Java Enterprise Edition to build distributed web applications.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 44 hours of contact time and about 106 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. The structure of some courses means that the modules you choose first may determine whether later modules are core or optional.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science BSc
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc
- Computing for Business and Management (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Business and Management BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) BSc
- Games and Multimedia Environments (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Games and Multimedia Environments BSc