Data Structures & Algorithms (G5117)
15 credits, Level 4
This module provides an introduction to data structures and algorithms for computer scientists. The module introduces a number of fundamental data structures, including arrays linked lists, stacks, queues, trees, hash tables and graphs. These are presented both abstractly, via the notion Abstract Data Types, and concretely in terms of their implementation in an object-oriented framework. The data structures are discussed and analysed in terms of efficiency of the basic operations they support and their application to program design problems. Consideration is given to important, fundamental algorithms for searching and sorting data.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 32 hours of contact time and about 118 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We’re planning to run this module in the academic year 2021/22. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) MComp
- Computer Science BSc
- Computer Science MComp
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc
- Computing for Business and Management (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Business and Management BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) BSc
- Games and Multimedia Environments (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Games and Multimedia Environments BSc