Foundation Mathematics B (F3302)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
This module covers the foundations of Mathematics, also appropriate for Engineering and Physics.
It covers further calculus, vectors, complex numbers and series.
- In further calculus you learn:
- further differentiation
- further integration
- applications and approximate methods of integration
- trapezium and Simpson’s rule.
With vectors you learn:
- addition and subtraction
- decomposition and resolution
- scalar and vector products.
With complex numbers you learn:
- addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- complex roots of quadratic equations
- the Argand diagram.
With series and approximations you learn:
- permutations and combinations
- arithmetic and geometric progressions
- binomial theorem
- Maclaurin’s and Taylor’s theorem.
You also learn coordinate geometry including polar coordinates.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 53 hours of contact time and about 97 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, we are constantly looking to improve and enhance our courses. There may be changes to modules in response to student demand or feedback, changes to staff expertise or updates to our curriculum. We may also need to make changes in response to COVID-19. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Design and Business (with a foundation year) BSc
- Engineering (with a foundation year) BEng
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Physics and Astronomy (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA