Dissertation (ENGLISH) (Q3320)
30 credits, Level 6
This module enables you to research and write an extended research dissertation of up to 8000 words as a culmination of your degree studies. You choose a dissertation topic from ANY module which they have taken on the English curriculum in year two or autumn of their final year, and produce a dissertation under the supervision of a faculty member, who will also give feedback on a short dissertation outline partway through spring term.
Teaching will also be delivered through lecture sessions on research skills and group seminars in which you will be taught alongside other students working on dissertations on similar or cognate topics. You will also participate in a dissertation conference to share work-in-progress with their peers. Additional optional study skills and archival sessions at The Keep will also be available.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 300 hours of work. This breaks down into about 14 hours of contact time and about 286 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English BA
- English (with a study abroad year) BA
- English BA
- English Language and Literature (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Art History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Art History BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- English and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and History BA
- English and Media Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Media Studies BA
- Philosophy and English BA