The Art of Short Fiction (Q3052)
15 credits, Level 5
On this module you will explore how 'short fiction' has developed historically, and how it is now manifested and defined. You will analyse a wide range of forms that may include fable, folk tale, the graphic novel, sudden fiction, and the short story. Though the module is concentrated on the analysis and production of works of short fiction, it also introduces you to a more complicated and nuanced understanding of fiction and theory.
The module also contains a creative writing component. You will be encouraged to respond to texts each week by writing your own fictions and reflecting on them in a logbook. Up to half of the module will be given over to creative writing workshops run by the tutor, with materials and creative writing exercises provided by the tutor alongside discussions of writing practice. An anthology of students' creative writing is published each year as an outcome of this module.
100%: Coursework (Portfolio)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 22 hours of contact time and about 128 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English BA
- English (with a study abroad year) BA
- English BA
- English Language and Literature (with a study abroad year) BA
- English Language and Literature BA
- English and Art History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Art History BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- English and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and History BA
- English and Media Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Media Studies BA
- Philosophy and English BA