Lyric Poetry (Q3012)
15 credits, Level 5
This module examines the development of lyric poetry in English over several centuries and studies its articulation of certain kinds of personal experience which might include such topics as love, friendship, war, travel and death. The module will enable you to: read widely in the anglophone poetic tradition; to recognise and to become familiar with a number of poetic forms, such as sonnet, ode, and sestina; to develop some understanding of poetic rhythm; to situate the development of lyric poetry within geographical and historical parameters; and to produce clear and concise critical and appreciative essays.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 22 hours of contact time and about 128 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English BA
- English (with a study abroad year) BA
- English BA
- English Language and Literature (with a study abroad year) BA
- English Language and Literature BA
- English and Art History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Art History BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- English and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and History BA
- English and Media Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Media Studies BA
- Philosophy and English BA