Public Management (N1598)
15 credits, Level 5
In this module, you are introduced to management and organisation in the public sector.
You examine key perspectives, theories and approaches to public management.
Furthermore, you discuss relevant aspects of the transformation of the public sector over time and across many countries in the world.
In this module, you cover key issues in organising, leading, managing, and governing in the public sector and how different types of public organisations operate and are managed.
Your major topics in this module include:
- governance and accountability
- strategy and strategic planning
- public financing and financial management
- leadership and managing people
- technology and new media
- public policy.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Business and Management Studies (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Business and Management Studies BSc
- Economics and Management Studies BSc
- Marketing and Management (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology BSc