Sensor Systems & Applications (H8002)
15 credits, Level 6
Sensor technologies are evolving at a rapid pace and are core to the drive for increased energy efficiency.
You will gain a systems-level understanding of a range of technologies and the knowledge and skills required to specify and design sensor systems. You will discuss specific sensor technologies in the context of their application to a range of areas including healthcare, security, control, materials characterisation and HCI.
You will cover the following topics:
- transducers and sensors
- operating principles
- low noise systems
- signal processing, hardware & DSP
- intelligent sensors
- wireless sensors
- specific sensor technologies
- hall effect
- solid state
- radiation sensors
- gas, chemical and biological sensors.
20%: Coursework (Report)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 30 hours of contact time and about 120 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Automotive Engineering BEng
- Automotive Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering BEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng