Computer Networks (H7127)
15 credits, Level 6
The objective is to give you a clear overview of the problems and issues that must be dealt with in constructing future ICT applications as well as the underlying network protocols needed to support them. The emphasis is on the conceptual basis for computer networks rather than a detailed study of particular systems and standards. Concepts will be illustrated with examples from practical systems.
- Introduction to concepts of computer networks, Internet and its evolution to future ICT.
- Computer networks architecture, key elements, layering structure, protocols and performance evaluations.
- Quality-of-services (QoS) data transmission, flow control, congestion control in transport layer, and their applications.
- Wire and wireless communication standard and protocols, including IEEE 802.15 and 802.11 based new radio technology.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 160 hours of work. This breaks down into about 57 hours of contact time and about 103 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng