Industrial Automation Systems (H7121)
15 credits, Level 5
The module involves the knowledge and understanding of key mechatronic concepts including mechanics, pneumatics, electrical, electronics and informatics. It focuses on industrial applications, hence on the study of on-off control, programming using Programmable Logical Controllers (PLCs), control of robotic arms, and machine vision.
The module considers mechatronics systems as an integration of various subsystems, and you will be able to analyse, model, design, program and cost automated manufacturing systems via the integration of such subsystems.
You will also be familiarized with interpretation of technical information including representation of components using diagrams and circuits, and general safety of operating with/around robotic/mechatronics equipment.
54%: Practical (Laboratory, Workshop)
35%: Coursework (Group submission (written), Practical assessment)
65%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 48 hours of contact time and about 102 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics MEng