Vehicle Technology (H7109)
15 credits, Level 6
This module aims to address the current and future demand for engineers in the automotive sector to have a holistic understanding of vehicles as systems which deliver a range of capabilities from transport to safety to information to entertainment. The delivery mode will make use of hands-on interactive design/analysis/virtual engineering in computer clusters with prepared electronic worksheets/projects.
Topics to be covered will include:
- Functional requirements (including safety, regulations, NVH, recyclability and cost) for varying segments, eg light duty, public transport (PSV), trucks, agriculture, off-highway and motor sport.
- Subsystems: body, interior, chassis, closures, chassis, electrical, propulsion, ride and handling, NVH, ergonomics, manufacturing/supply, product planning.
- Topical issues: hybridization (incl. PSV and not only electric), HEV energy and power management, composite materials, alternative fuels, vehicle control development and integration technologies, ICT standards and protocols.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Automotive Engineering BEng
- Automotive Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering BEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng