Electronic Circuit & Systems Design (H7076)
15 credits, Level 5
- filters: frequency domain analysis, gain and phase and use of the s variable
- types of filter response, low-pass, band-pass and relation to the transfer function
- design of low-order active filters from pole-zero locations
- Butterworth, Chebyshev and Elliptic responses with design from tables and computer programs
- small-signal analysis with matrix-based nodal analysis for circuits using operational amplifiers
- computer-based analysis in the frequency domain and time domain
- circuits: instrumentation amplifiers, logarithmic amplifiers, oscillators, mixers and other communication circuits
- analysis and design considering temperature compensation and stability
- coursework: design project of a small analogue circuit, computer-aided printed circuit layout, building and testing, computer-aided analysis.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 51 hours of contact time and about 99 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng