Digital Signal Processing (H6100)
15 credits, Level 6
The module covers DSP topics, including digital signals and sampling requirements, dasic types of digital signals and quantisation error.
It is followed by the topics:
- time-domain analysis – linear-time-invariant system, Block Diagram for LTI systems, impulse response, convolution sum, difference equations.
- frequency-domain analysis – the discrete Fourier Series, Fourier transform of aperiodic digital sequences, frequency responses.
The z transform topic includes:
- z-transform and inverse z-transform
- z-transform properties
- z-plane pole-zero representations
- stability of a system
- evaluation of the Fourier Transform in Z-Plane
- characteristics of 1st and 2nd order systems.
For Filter design topic, it includes:
- non-recursive (FIR) filters
- Fourier technique of designing non-recursive filters
- truncation and windowing
- recursive (IIR) filter design
- bilinear transformation methods.
You will also cover Discrete Fourier transform (DFT) and its relation to CFT, Fast Fourier transform (FFT), Basic Spectral Analysis, Spectra of Harmonics, Spectral leakage, Windowing, and Effects of Windows and an introduction to random digital signals.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 28 hours of contact time and about 122 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng