Engine Technology (H3051)
15 credits, Level 6
The aims of this module are to introduce the operating principles and new technologies of various combustion engines, such as piston engine and gas turbine engine with emphasis on gasoline and diesel engines for driving road vehicles. The main contents comprise:
- Introduction to the operating process including gas exchange, fuel delivery, combustion and energy release processes, pollutant formation and control, heat transfer and friction.
- Analysis of engine performances including volumetric efficiency, combustion efficiency, thermal efficiency, mechanical efficiency, power output, fuel consumption and emissions.
- Demonstration to subsystems (valvetrain, fuel injection, combustion system, cooling system, lubrication, turbocharging and supercharging system, ERG and aftertreatment) and their design and operating parameters.
- A brief introduction to other power plant systems for road vehicles, such as power plants for Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV), plug-in Electric Vehicle (EV), Fuel Cell Vehicle (FCV), etc.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 44 hours of contact time and about 106 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Automotive Engineering BEng
- Automotive Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering BEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng