Mathematics for Product Design (H1039)
15 credits, Level 4
In this module, you cover topics including:
- Numbers: basic number theory, dimensions, units, constants, ratios, bases, powers and logarithms, imaginary numbers, functions.
- Algebra: manipulation of equations, simultaneous and quadratic equations, common factors and denominators, simple iteration, matrix algebra.
- Geometry: area and volume of common shapes, trigonometric functions, Pythagoras, angles, simple plane geometry (intersecting lines, properties of circles, triangles etc.), vectors.
- Graphs: 2-D representation of data in Cartesian and polar coordinate systems, logarithmic scales, bar charts, gradients and rates of change, area under the curve and Simpson's Rule, curve fitting.
- Statistics: average, median, mode, standard deviation, the normal distribution and Student's T distribution.
- Calculus: simple differentiation and integration of functions of a single variable and (crucially) relating it to graphical and physical information.
40%: Practical (Workshop)
50%: Coursework (Report)
50%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 50 hours of contact time and about 100 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: