Programming for Engineers (H1038)
15 credits, Level 4
This module introduces you to the following topics:
- compiling and linking
- constants, variables, data types and conversion
- operators and expressions
- program structure and pseudocode
- selection and repetitive statements
- characters and strings
- data structures
- file input/output
- well-designed programs and testing (software engineering)
- introduction to programming paradigms
- C and MATLAB (procedural)
- MATLAB - Simulink
- LabVIEW (graphical programming)
- concept of object-orientated programming (C++, Java).
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 28 hours of contact time and about 122 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.