Engineering Fluid Mechanics (H1029)
15 credits, Level 5
This module introduces the basic concepts of fluid mechanics with applications in the field of engineering in mind. It teaches the fundamental techniques used to understand the behaviour of fluids at rest and in motion.
Many engineering applications/devices need to interact with a fluid medium (air, water, other...) in order to achieve a desired objective. For example, an aircraft moving in air, a ship sailing on water, or a wind turbine extracting power from wind. In each of the above and many other scenarios an engineer needs to understand the behaviour of the fluid when it interacts with the device in order to fully characterise the performance of the device. Fluid mechanics fundamentals are essential to achieve this.
As an engineer, one needs to tackle fluid related phenomena to design useful applications, be it in the field of transport, energy, medicine, sports or everyday household appliances. Without a good understanding of the fundamentals of fluid mechanics it would be practically impossible to produce successful designs.
This module takes you, step-by-step, from basic A-level physics and related mathematics to the theory and equations that describe stationary and moving fluid. You'll be introduced to practical applications of such theories to simple everyday examples involving fluid flow. The knowledge learned here is essential for understanding further applied topics in the Mechanical/Automotive BEng/MEng courses such as thermal power cycles and computational fluid mechanics and also for carrying out fluid mechanics based final-year projects.
20%: Coursework (Test)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Automotive Engineering BEng
- Automotive Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering BEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics MEng