Professional Skills (G5120)
15 credits, Level 4
This module will cover important professional skills in 4 categories: technical and academic writing technical communication skills, professional conduct, and IT law.
- Writing skills: technical writing, report writing, reviewing and the correct attribution of credit and referencing
- Technical communication skills: giving effective oral presentations and graphical aids for oral presentations
- Professional conduct: codes of professional conduct, computers and society including the workplace and education and the ethical implications of the internet, artifical intelligence, virtual reality and emerging new technologies
- IT law: computer crime, privacy and data protection and intellectual property and the law in the IT sector
100%: Coursework (Computer-based examination, Presentation, Report)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 27 hours of contact time and about 123 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) MComp
- Computer Science BSc
- Computer Science MComp
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc
- Computing for Business and Management (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Business and Management BSc
- Computing for Digital Media (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Digital Media BSc
- Games and Multimedia Environments (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Games and Multimedia Environments BSc