Differential Equations (G5097)
15 credits, Level 5
In this module, the topics you will cover will include:
Ordinary differential equations:
- solution methods; variation of the constant formula, separation of variables
- solution of linear ODE with constant coefficients
- Lipschitz continuity
- existence and uniqueness (Picard-Lindeloef), maximal solutions, Gronwall
- higher order equations into system of first order
- boundary value problems.
Partial differential equations:
- partial and total derivatives
- first order PDEs; method of characteristics for semilinear and quasilinear equations, initial boundary value problems.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 46 hours of contact time and about 104 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. The structure of some courses means that the modules you choose first may determine whether later modules are core or optional.