Foundation Mathematics A (F3301)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
This module covers the basic foundations of Mathematics, also appropriate for Engineering and Physics.
It covers algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus (differential and integral).
In algebra you learn:
- algebraic relationships
- equalities and inequalities
- remainder and factor theorems
- quadratic equations
- partial fractions
- indices and logarithms.
In geometry and trigonometry you learn:
- inequalities and regions
- trigonometric relationships
- Cartesian coordinates and straight lines
- compound angles
- revision of some Euclidean geometry.
In differentiation calculus you learn:
- the product and quotient rule
- function of a function
- differentiation of parametric forms and implicit functions
- second order differentiation and turning points.
In integration calculus you learn:
- standard integrals
- integration by inspection, by substitution, by parts and using partial fractions
- definite integrals
- solution of first order differential equations by separation of variables.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 54 hours of contact time and about 96 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Design and Business (with a foundation year) BSc
- Engineering (with a foundation year) BEng
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Physics and Astronomy (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA