Oscillations, Waves and Optics (F3215)
15 credits, Level 4
This module covers:
- Simple harmonic motion
- Forced oscillations and resonance
- Mechanical waves
- Properties of sound
- Coupled oscillators and normal modes
- Geometrical optics to the level of simple optical systems
- Huygens' principle, introduction to wave optics
- Interference and diffraction at single and multiple apertures
- Optical cavities and laser action
- Practical introduction to the use of telescopes
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 44 hours of contact time and about 106 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: