15 credits, Level 5
This is a first module on electro/magnetostatics and electrodynamics in differential form with key applications.
Topics covered include:
- Mathematical Revision
- Electrostatics: equations for the E-field, potential, energy, basic boundary-value setups
- Electrostatics: dielectrics, displacement and free charge
- Magnetostatics: forces, equations for the B-field, vector potential, Biot-Savart, dipole field of current loops
- Magnetostatics: diamagnetism and paramagnetism, auxiliary field H, ferromagnetism
- Electrodynamics: Faraday's law, inductance and back emf, circuit applications, Maxwell-Ampere law, energy and Poynting's theorem
- Electromagnetic waves: wave equation, plane waves, polarization, waves in dielectrics, reflection at an interface, wave velocity/group velocity/dispersion
- Potentials and dipole radiation
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 44 hours of contact time and about 106 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: