Neural Circuits (C1098)
15 credits, Level 5
This module will teach you about neural mechanisms generating animal behaviour. The level of analysis emphasises types of behaviour that can be understood in terms of underlying neural circuits or specific structures with well known neural architectures within the brain.
Topics covered include:
- organisation and modulation of central pattern generator (CPG) circuits
- advanced techniques for monitoring and manipulating neural circuits
- modelling of neural circuits
- sensory and motor functions of spinal cord circuits
- brain circuits underlying motor control
- circuits underlying non-associative and associative learning
- addiction and learning circuits
- defects in circuits
- development of neural circuits
30%: Coursework (Essay)
70%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: