30 credits, Level 6
You look at the central questions in normative ethics and meta-ethics.
- what makes an action right
- whether there are moral rules
- whether there are moral facts, and if so, how they can be known
- whether there are external moral reasons
- whether there’s a relation between moral truths and non-moral truths.
Positions to be examined include non-cognitivism, naturalism, non-naturalism, internalism and externalism.
30%: Coursework (Essay)
70%: Written assessment (Essay)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: