Arabic Ab initio B (T6002)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
You will already have a basic prior knowledge of the target language (TL).
Building on existing levels of proficiency at level A1 (basic user) of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages, this module aims to:
- enable you to understand basic information and communicate effectively in the TL in everyday situations, at a simple level
- provide opportunities across a variety of general topics for practice of understanding and communication in the TL using the four language skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing, at a basic level
- introduce fundamental elements of the TL language structures, vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation, and continue to provide a solid foundation for progression in the TL
- present the background culture of the TL through a variety of contextualised activities and text, audio and audio-visual materials.
Successful completion of the module is at least equivalent to level A2 (basic user) of the CEFR for Languages.
2%: Practical (Workshop)
96%: Seminar (Class, Seminar)
50%: Coursework (Presentation, Report)
50%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 44 hours of contact time and 106 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Anthropology with a Language BA
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Drama with a Language BA
- Geography with a Language BA
- International Development with a Language BA
- International Relations with a Language BA
- Law with a Language LLB
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA
- Sociology with a Language BA