British Sign Language and Deaf Culture 1B (T5003)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
This second-stage module of the 60-credit pathway in British Sign Language (BSL) and Deaf Culture will develop your range and conversational technique in BSL in everyday contexts, and expand your knowledge and awareness of deaf culture. The module aims to enable you to:
- hold a conversation
- gain a clear understanding on how to sign grammatically correct sentences
- create his/her own everyday sentences about everyday topics (e.g. food/cooking, hobbies, travel) in a range of everyday settings
- study the world of deaf people in the UK and abroad
- develop study skills to access academic resources relating to deaf people and deaf issues
- begin to explore deaf culture topics which relate to your discipline.
Classes will consist of a variety of activities, include regular practice in pronunciation (production of signs) and listening (understanding signs), simulations, practical exercises and conversation etc., based around themes, grammatical structures and language skills, to encourage autonomous use of the TL.
Seminar activities are complemented by guided independent study, individually and in groups, and will make use of Study Direct and other technologies.
This module is at A2-A2+ on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages.
2%: Practical (Workshop)
96%: Seminar (Class, Seminar)
100%: Coursework (Practical assessment, Report)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 44 hours of contact time and 106 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Anthropology with a Language BA
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Drama with a Language BA
- Geography with a Language BA
- International Development with a Language BA
- International Relations with a Language BA
- Law with a Language LLB
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA
- Sociology with a Language BA