Chinese Ab initio A (T3000)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
This acts as an introduction if you have little or no prior knowledge of the target language (TL).
- enables you to understand basic information and communicate effectively in the TL, in everyday situations at an elementary level
- provides opportunities across general topics for practising the four language skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing, at an elementary level
- introduces fundamental elements of the TL language structures, vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation, and provides a solid foundation for progression in the TL
- introduces the background culture of the TL through various activities and text, audio, audio-visual and digital material.
This module is equivalent to level A1 (basic user) of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages.
4%: Practical (Workshop)
94%: Seminar (Class, Seminar)
100%: Coursework (Test)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 44 hours of contact time and 106 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Anthropology with a Language BA
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Drama with a Language BA
- Geography with a Language BA
- International Development with a Language BA
- International Relations with a Language BA
- Law with a Language LLB
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA
- Sociology with a Language BA