Thinking Literature 2 (Q3298)
30 credits, Level 4
This module provides an introduction to the study of literature at degree level. It offers you the chance to enact, and reflect on, close, critical readings of literary texts across a range of genres and periods. There will be a significant focus on a range of poetic texts in Autumn term, and on prose narrative, including the novel, in Spring term. Additionally, a significant part of this module will comprise a three week 'Induction' element, during which you will be supported in the transition to university-level study and orienting yourself in the discipline. Throughout the module, special attention will be given to the development of academic and study skills, and you will complete a reflective learning diary in addition to an essay.
20%: Practical (Workshop)
100%: Coursework (Essay, Portfolio)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 300 hours of work. This breaks down into 60 hours of contact time and 240 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and English BA
- English (with a study abroad year) BA
- English BA
- English and Art History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Art History BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- English and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and History BA
- English and Media Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- English and Media Studies BA