Asian Popular Cinema (P5051)
30 credits, Level 6
Asian Popular Cinema will introduce you to popular film culture from Asia. Using films from across the region, we will explore different manifestations of popular cinema in their specific cultural, historical, and industrial contexts. Particular attention will be paid to the emergence of intra-Asian dynamics, and the transnational flow of cinemas.
Topics covered weekly will vary, but may include questions of form and genre (e.g. the blockbuster, the musical, comedy, anime, martial arts films), production (e.g. co-productions, stars, fan culture, popular authorship), and the mediation of popular issues (e.g. political protest, historical experience, gender and the family, urbanization, migration).
60%: Lecture (Film)
100%: Coursework (Essay, Professional log, Report)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 300 hours of work. This breaks down into 55 hours of contact time and 245 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies and Film Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- Art History and Film Studies BA
- Drama and Film Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and Film Studies BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- Film Studies BA
- Filmmaking BA
- Media and Communications (with a partnership year in Hong Kong) BA
- Media and Communications BA
- Sociology with Cultural Studies BA