Film Musicals (P4105B)
15 credits, Level 5
This module will examine the musical, tracing the development and ideological implications of this Hollywood genre.
The module is divided into two sections. The first section will analyse the Hollywood musical through a specific focus on genre: the show/backstage musical, the fairy tale musical, the folk musical, the ‘new’ musical and recent developments in the genre such as the ‘karaoke’ musical.
The second section of the module will focus on the cultural debates raised by the musical text. Topics may include: race and ethnicity in the musical; camp and the musical; (hetero)sexuality and the musical and subcultural identification and the musical.
80%: Lecture (Film, Lecture)
100%: Coursework (Essay)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 55 hours of contact time and 95 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and Film Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and Politics (with a study abroad year) BA
- Art History and Film Studies BA
- Drama and Film Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and Film Studies BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- Film Studies BA
- Filmmaking BA
- Media Production BA
- Media and Communications (with a partnership year in Hong Kong) BA
- Media and Communications BA
- Music BA
- Music Technology BA