Introduction to Business and Management (N1065)
15 credits, Level 4
Introduction to Business and Management is an introductory study of contemporary organisations and their management. It explores the types of purposes of organisations, their stakeholders (CSR) and changing environments together with their key managerial processes – entrepreneurship, organisational structure, leading, strategic planning and change.
The focus throughout is on helping you achieve a critical and reflective approach, and learning to apply relevant concepts, tools and models.
The coursework component of assessment requires you to choose an organisation that is of interest to you and to explore, critically, the way in which it handles a process of your choice. You are supported in this by the submission of a structured proposal on which formative feedback is given.
Seminar activities are participative and require preparatory work which is signposted though downloads and links on Study Direct well in advance.
Lectures are interactive, employing the use of quizzes and featuring clips from YouTube, such as Dragons' Den excerpts.
An unseen examination completes the assessment profile and you tackle a case study (which revisits keys concepts) in the final seminar as a formative exercise.
The module provides a platform for later study by encouraging skills in critical thinking, academic writing, concept acquisition and research. Introduction to Business and Management aims to facilitate the transition to university-level learning smoothly, meaningfully and enjoyably.
67%: Practical (Workshop)
100%: Coursework (Group presentation, Observation, Test)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Accounting and Finance (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Accounting and Finance BSc
- Business and Management Studies (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Business and Management Studies BSc
- Economics and Management Studies BSc
- Finance and Business (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Business BSc
- International Business (with a professional placement year) BSc
- International Business BSc
- Marketing and Management (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology BSc