Design of Mechanisms and Machines (H7110)
15 credits, Level 6
This module covers the principles of design of machine components commonly used in mechanical engineering applications. It emphasises the role of statics, stress analysis, and materials choice in the design process.
The main types of mechanical components failure - as well as methods of prevention or prediction of such failures - are also covered.
The main aims of the module are:
- to help you understand how stress and strain affect design of mechanical components
- place mechanical design in the context of manufacturing processes
- make you aware of failure, reliability and safety issues and the implications on costs of mechanical components
- make you aware of how efficiency of machine components and environmental problems can be approached at the design stage
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 43 hours of contact time and about 107 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering BEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics MEng