Differential Equations (G5097)
15 credits, Level 5
In this module, the topics you will cover will include:
Ordinary differential equations:
- solution methods; variation of the constant formula, separation of variables
- solution of linear ODE with constant coefficients
- Lipschitz continuity
- existence and uniqueness (Picard-Lindeloef), maximal solutions, Gronwall
- higher order equations into system of first order
- boundary value problems.
Partial differential equations:
- partial and total derivatives
- first order PDEs; method of characteristics for semilinear and quasilinear equations, initial boundary value problems.
20%: Practical (Workshop)
9%: Seminar (Class)
20%: Coursework (Presentation, Problem Set, Test)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: