15 credits, Level 4
Topics covered on this module include:
- Functions of one real variable: graphical representation, inverse functions, composition of functions, polynomial, trigonometric, exponential and hyperbolic functions.
- Limits, continuity and differentiation: one-sided limits, infinite limits, algebra of limits, continuity and the intermediate value theorem, differentiation from first principles, product rule and chain rule, Rolle's Theorem, the mean value theorem and Taylor's theorem, stationary points of a function.
- Integration: indefinite and definite integrals, fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by parts and integration by substitution.
- Solutions to first order ODEs.
- Solutions to second order ODEs.
21%: Practical (Workshop)
20%: Coursework (Problem Set, Test)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: